Why Pakistan is not progressing is due to our weak social institutions. Social institution can play an important role in making any country stronger. If the country has weak institutions than it will be very hard for the nation to survive with out any problems and difficulties. Instead of strong institutions, we have strong Persons. The only way Pakistan can progress is my making its institutions strong by converting it truly into welfare state. Strong institutions means end of corruption, rule of law all problems mentioned below are by product of weak institutions. While the progressing countries have only one thing in common they all have strong institutions. They prefer merit instead of personal satisfaction which ultimately results in frustration among People.
4. Foreign debt
5. Restoration/promotion of democracy results in Weak Institutions
6. Water crisis
7. Lack of leadership
8. Population explosion
All these problems are the result of weak social institutions when family institution will be weaker than it will produce the disorganized members of society and than they will can not give their best in other social institutions of Pakistan. When one institution will be affected than the chain of disorganized society will keep moving and in every aspect of society weakness will occurs and will result in destabilizing of country.
Social institutions and its importance are not known by every one. But really what actually social institution is.
Each society has its own social institutions. These are not buildings or places, but structures of relationship, obligation, role and function. These are social concepts and practices, but also involve cognitive structures. Members of a society have a similar mental concept of right and wrong, order and relationships, and patterns of good (positive values). Those who do not honor these concepts are “criminals,” or at least antisocial.
There are five social institutions on which society revolves and if any of the institution become weak that it result in destruction and disturbance of society.
Some of the main functions of social institution are as under.
THE BASIC INSTITUTIONS
In the past these have centered around five basic social institutions:
The family Economy
Religion Government or Politics
New social institutions have been established with the growth of industrialized societies:
Mass Media Sports
Science and medicine Military
GENERAL FUCTIONS OF SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS
1. Institution Satisfy the Basic Needs of Society.
2. Institution Define Dominant Social Values.
“Bill of Rights”
3. Institutions Establish Permanent Patterns of Social Behavior
4. Institutions Support Other Institutions.
5. Institutions Provide Roles for Individuals .
Husband and Wife.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF INDIVIDUAL INSTITUTIONS
THE SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF THE FAMILY
1. The control and regulation of sexual behavior.
2. To provide for new members of society (children).
3. To provide for the economic and emotional maintenace of individuals.
4. To provide for primary socialization of children.
THE SPECIFIC FUNCTIONOF RELIGION
1. Providing solutions for unexplained natural, phenomena.
2. Supplying a means for controlling the natural world.
3. Religion tends to support the normative structure of the society.
4. Furnishing a psychological diversion from unwanted life situations.
5. Sustaining the existing class structure.
6. Religion serves as an instrument of socialization.
7. Religion may both promote and retard social change.
8. Religion may both reduce and encourage conflict in groups.
THE SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF GOVERMENT
1. The Institutionalization of norms (Laws).
2. The enforcement of laws.
3. The adjudication of conflict (Court).
4. Provide for the welfare of members of society.
5. Protection of Society from external threat.
THE SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF EDUCATION
1. Transmitting culture.
2. Preparation for occupational roles
3. Evaluating and selecting competent individuals
4. Transmitting functional skills for functioning in society.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF ECONOMY
1. Provide methods for the production of goods and services.
2. Provide methods for the distribution of goods and services.
3. Enable society’s members to consume goods and services which are produced
These all functions are important aspects of society and if the duties should be performed in a proper and organized way than every society can improve even Pakistani society also. So, as a citizen its our duty to respect all the institutions and respect its functions for a betterment of society.
Hence, it is concluded that social institutions can play a vital role in progress and development of society and its nation